Tucson Post 549, the second largest VFW post in Arizona, was originally chartered as "Joe C. Salazar Post 549" on January 3, 1921. It was the third VFW post chartered in Arizona. In 1925, the post's original charter was inactivated when many of its members, who were patients at the government hospital at Pastime Park, left the Tucson area upon discharge.
The post was revived on May 1, 1927, as "John C. Greenway Post 549", but again became inactive. On April 26, 1930, it was re-chartered as "Tucson Post 549" but lost its charter yet again on April 1, 1931. The post was finally reinstituted on June 24, 1932, and has remained active ever since.
In 1945 the Post recognized the need of a well kept veterans cemetary in the community. Post 549 purchased a plot for $5,000 with the option of securing an adjoining lot for an additional $5,000. The option was immediately taken up.
There are 4,000 lots in the Post purchase - the first established by a post in the United States. Those eligible for burial in this V.F.W. plot are all deceased veterans with honorable discharges, deceased wives of V.F.W. members, and deceased members of V.F.W. Auxiliary. The cemetary was dedicated in 1947 under the commandership of Comrade Louis A. Menager.
Comrade Louis A. Menager is now resting in the cemetary he dedicated. His son, Louis L. Menager, is curently a member of Tucson VFW Post 549.
The post dedicated its $500,000 post home, the largest one in the Department of Arizona at that time, on May 30, 1948. It was located at 124 E. Broadway. Because of diminishing membership and support, due largely to Tucson's demographic charges and lack of parking at the Broadway location, the post moved to 1884 S. Craycroft Road (northwest corner of Craycroft and 29th Street) in June 1971. The building was originally a used clothing store. After the move, the post home was greatly enlarged and boasted one of the largest meeting halls on Tucson's eastside. Because of a sale of the property we owned on Craycroft, the Post moved to 8424 E. Old Spanish Trail in January of 2011, where we currently reside.
Post 549 includes a Ladies Auxiliary, chartered on November 25, 1932. With over 600 members, it is the 4th largest VFW auxiliary in Arizona.
The Men's Auxiliary of the Veterans of Foreign Wars
Post 549 received it's charter on the 15th of September of 2011, barely 9 1/2 months after we moved to our current location. The Men's Auxiliary was disbanded on 31 December 2016 due to a vote from VFW Naional.
Sahuaro Pup Tent 2, Military Order of the Cootie of the United States (MOC), was chartered on April 16, 1941. The Cooties are the Honor Degree of the VFW, and the Military Order Cootie Auxiliary (MOCA) was chartered on November 26, 1957. The Tucson Post also has charters for the Sons of the VFW and the Dads of Foreign Service, but these units are currently inactive.
Tucson Post 549 has a long, proud tradition and will continue to serve its community, state and nation in the coming years.